Why Choose an Inflatable Kayak versus a Rigid Kayak?
Find out why more people are choosing an inflatable kayak as opposed to a rigid kayak than ever before. In this article we hope to answer the question; why an Inflatable Kayak?
Here are some good reasons why more people are choosing a portable kayak:
1. They don't want the hassle or the worry of best kayak for 2 peoplehaving to hoist their kayak up and tying it securely to their car's roof rack.
2. They like the fact of how easy inflatable kayaks are to store. They can store them in a carry on storage bag and keep it in the trunk of their car or in a closet at their home, taking up very little space. Great if you live in a townhouse, condo or apartment.
3. If they travel, they like the fact they can bring their portable kayak with them, even take them on an airplane.
4. They like the fact how easy they are to maintain: let it dry, then fold it up and put it away.
5. They like that they can go kayaking in a moment's notice, from their car trunk to paddling in a moment's notice.
6. They like the fact of how affordable inflatable kayaks really are.
These are all good reasons for choosing an inflatable over a rigid kayak, but still more reasons why. So read on to learn more about how sturdy, safe, easy to set up, the many styles there are and finally how well they do versus a rigid kayak.
1. Inflatable kayaks are sturdier than ever imagine. These portable kayaks are made with durable material that you can hit with the sharp edge of a claw hammer. There are inflatable kayaks that are made with the same material used in boats the US Coast Guard and rescue crew use. You have quality kayaks and boats such as those made by Sea Eagle, Innova and Zodiac that offer nothing but the best materials to build their inflatable water crafts. For example, Sea Eagle Kayaks are constructed of tough 1,000 denier polyester supported high pressure fabric with quadruple thickness electronic welded seams. They test their kayaks by pounding them mercilessly with the sharp edge of a claw hammer and it had no effect nor did stabbing them with a screwdriver. Innova Kayaks are made of the same material used in Zodiac inflatable boats that the US Coast Guard uses. They are Made with rugged rubber coated 1200 denier Nitrylon, no PVC, on the outer hull and LitePack material on the interior. Innova test their kayaks mercilessly for puncture and abrasion wear and tear. You don't have to worry about bumping or scraping your kayaks at the docks.
2. When searching you'll find out there is a large range of sizes and styles of inflatable kayaks to choose from. You will find portable kayaks made for whitewater, touring, fishing, ocean surfing and more. There are kayaks that meet everyone's style, budget and skill level.
3. Easy to set up: An inflatable Kayak from most manufactures can be setup or put away in its bag, in less than 20 minutes - honest! Compared with folding kayaks, which also travels well, the setup time for portable kayaks are quicker and easier. Innova, Sea Eagle, Advance Element kayaks to name a few, set up in under 10 minutes and you won't need a degree in engineering, you can do it with just a manual foot bellow pump and a non complicated instructions manual.
Now Compared with rigid kayaks, in the time it takes to rig up your roof rack, tie down and then take down you kayak, you could have been out kayaking an hour ago.
4. They are safe with Easy Entry & Greater Stability:think stable and forgiving
Inflatable kayaks have multiple air chambers for redundancy which results in greater stability than rigid kayaks/boats. With more stability, unlike rigid kayaks, inflatable kayaks are very easy to get into from the water and less tendency to capsize in difficult paddling conditions.
5. Performance: when it comes to performance, inflatable kayaks can hold their own. In the 1997 San Juan Challenge an Innova Helios II, the only inflatable entry, won its section, averaging 3 knots. In a 25 knot headwind, it was faster by half a knot than the rigid sea kayaks in the race. In calm water, it was slower by half a knot than those same boats. So it will keep up with a rigid kayak; not necessarily outperform them every time but it will compete.
If you love to paddle, love to travel and looking for a convenient and affordable way to get out on the water, then an inflatable kayak is an excellent way to go. The great best kayak for 2 people thing about inflatable kayaks is that there are lots of choices and no matter what your criteria, you are sure to find the portable kayak that suits your needs and skill level.
Point to Remember
One more thought. Inflatable boats and kayaks have been around for a while your Coast Guard and search and rescue people use them all the time. But like any boat or kayak you buy, common sense must always come into play when paddling any boat or kayak. Always wear a life vest when out on the water.